The City of Melbourne Lawn Bowls Club was founded as The West Melbourne
Lawn Bowls Club on 18 August 1866 at the Sabloniere Hotel, once on the
corner of A'Beckett and Queen Streets, Melbourne.
The Club moved to the Flagstaff Gardens in 1879. In 1880, we were a
foundation club when the Victorian Bowling Association (VBA) was formed.
Our inaugural president was Sir Charles McMahon, and the inaugural
president of the VBA, Cr Sam Amess, was one of our bowlers. He was also a
former Club president and a Lord Mayor of Melbourne.
The first VBA singles champion was also member of the Club and we have
produced numerous state players since our inception.
The Club changed its name to City Bowling Club in 1904, and to the City
Of Melbourne Bowls Club (CoMBC) in 1964.
In January 1994 fire destroyed a large part of our clubhouse, decimating
our facilities, organisation and records. However, with the tireless
support and dedication of club members, CoMBC regrouped and continued to
operate and prosper, even with limited facilities.
With thanks to the City of Melbourne Council and Council staff, the
opening of our new clubhouse in 2009 marked the completion of a journey
which began in 1994. We welcome the City of Melbourne to our club.
CoMBC is currently planning its 150th anniversary celebrations for 18
August 2016. These include the commissioning of an author to write the
club history and celebrations.