Finally, after months of COVID-19 lock-down, restrictions and uncertainty, Bowls Victoria Pennant has the green light for a Saturday 28 November start.
Next Saturday, 21 November, we will have the formal Opening of the Green by COMBC Chairman Rob Barker followed by our final intra-club practice match.
Of course, due to ongoing restrictions, there will be many awkward changes to Pennant this season:
- Pennant will be played straight through with a 10 minute staggered break for each rink
- No food will be provided for afternoon tea and after pennant calling of the cards for the rest of 2020
- There will be no Club-organized car pooling and it will be members’ responsibility to arrange their own transport to away games, either by public transport or driving their own vehicle.
The Weekend pennant season has been shortened to 14 rounds, with four games before Christmas finishing on 19 December. The restart is earlier, on 6 January, and continuing to 13 March 2021. We have 3 full sides in Divisions 3, 4 & 5.
Midweek Pennant starts Tuesday 1 December, stopping on 22 December then recommencing 12 January until 16 March 2021. We have two full sides in Divisions 3 & 5.
This season there is a new Saturday morning 6-a-side competition over 15 ends from 10am to 12 noon. We have two sides and this also starts on 28 Novembers, with two shortened seasons.
The selectors have decided not to enter a team in Wednesday night competition and urge you instead to play in our Wednesday night intra-club competition, commencing Wed Nov 18th.
Please find attached all the final draws.
We ask for your patience and full cooperation as we together navigate these difficult times.
The good thing is that we are finally out and playing bowls and enjoying each other’s company again.
COMBC Bowls CommitteeThe City of Melbourne Bowls Club (CoMBC) Pennant season begins early October until March when the finals are held. The Pennant competition is run by Bowls Victoria and requires full uniform. We operate in the Metro West region and play both at home and away.
With the lack of travel occurring, we have increased the number of teams on Saturday and Midweek.
This year, due to the restrictions and late commencement of the season, Bowls Victoria has introduced a morning 6-a-side Saturday Pennant. The club has entered 2 sides.
This new morning competition has the following differences:
- The Weekend Pennant 6-a-side competition will move to a Saturday Morning (10:00am start) and including 2x seasons of competition (Spring Season and Summer Season)
- The 6-a-side competition will now be shortened to 15 ends and be played with 6 teams in a section, ensuring minimal travel and a more localized competition.
- Players involved in the new Weekend Pennant 6-a-side competition have the option to play in the usual afternoon timeslot at 1:00pm.
CoMBC has three full teams in Saturday Pennant. For the 2020/2021 season the club has teams entered in Division 3, 4 and 5. This Pennant season will be shorter due to Covid-19.
CoMBC has two full teams in Midweek Pennant. For the 2020/2021 season the club has teams entered in Division 3 and 5 (to be confirmed). This Pennant season will be shorter due to Covid-19.